2018 Hands Across The Valley
Call for Nominations
Nothing changes a community for the better like volunteering. Whether organizing a food or clothing drive, securing the safety of neighbors, tutoring children, or cleaning up streets, doing good connects us with others in meaningful ways. And it creates and cultivates a community that cares. For the past 50 years, HandsOn Central California has sponsored Hands Across The Valley Awards to recognize volunteers whose commitment and service in the field of volunteerism has had a tangible impact on our communities and Central Valley region.
You are invited to participate in the Hands Across The Valley Awards. Please identify an individual, group or company that you believe exemplifies high quality volunteer involvement by generously giving their time and energy to address our regional challenges. Awards will be presented at a special luncheon April 25, 2018 during National Volunteer week. All nominees will be recognized, and winners will receive an award signifying their stellar service.
Outstanding Volunteers will be selected by a panel of judges in each of the following categories:
- Corporate/Business Volunteer or Group: Agencies/Businesses/Corporations that promote volunteerism and provide volunteer opportunities for their staff.
- Love of Children Volunteer: Volunteers that specifically volunteer with youth to enhance opportunities and resources.
- Service Club/Organization: Club or organization that aids and supports its’ community.
- Parent Volunteer: Parent/Parents that volunteer and act as role models to inspire their children and community to give back.
- School Volunteer: An individual who supports a school or school district. They can be a volunteer at a designated school or someone who helps to provide resources for schools.
- College Student Volunteer: A college student who goes above their academic commitments to volunteer in their community.
- RSVP Volunteer: A Retired Senior Volunteer, 55 years or older, that serves their community.
- Youth Volunteer: A volunteer, under 18 years of age, who serves their community.
- Adult Volunteer: A volunteer, older than 18 but not yet a senior (55), who serves their community.
- Lifetime Achievement: Individual who has demonstrated a volunteerism spirit for a significant amount of time that has greatly has impacted their community.
Community Needs and Solution – How did the nominee’s actions meet or solve a real community need or challenge? Did the activities lead to a long-term solution? Has the nominee made a long-lasting positive and meaningful difference in the lives of people in the community, region, state, nation, or internationally through volunteer service activities?
Connection Building – How did their activities demonstrate hands-on service that resulted in building connection between the community and those who may be isolated from it? Were connections made with groups beyond the agency for which the volunteer worked?
Impact – What impact/benefits resulted from the nominee’s activities and efforts? How many or what types of people and groups were worked with? What was the nominee’s level of involvement? Was the amount of time spent significant?
Distinctive Achievements – Was the service provided extraordinary and meaningful? Did their activities show innovation or unique approaches to addressing serious social challenges?
Submission Instructions: It is strongly recommended that nominations first be prepared in a word processing document. Use the following pages to help collect and organize the information so it can be easily copied and pasted into the online form. Not only does this let the nominator collect, write, edit, and check character counts but it also ensures that any disruptions (e.g., loss of internet connection) do not mean loss of time and work.
One photo of the nominee should be included with the nomination, but do not include CDs, DVSs, newspaper articles, notebooks or other materials. Late, incomplete or misdirected nomination forms will be disqualified. Nominations must be postmarked, submitted online, or emailed by February 28, 2018.
Tips for submitting a strong nomination:
- Make sure you fill out the nomination form as completely as possible.
- Submit documentation to support your nomination.
- Don't forget to include a picture of your nominee.
- Be sure to tell us how the volunteer impacted you or your organization.
- Get your nomination in before the deadline!
Staff is available to guide you in the nomination process, please call us if you have any questions or need additional guidance at (559) 237-3101.
You can download the nomination form by clicking here.
To purchase tickets for the 50th Annual Hands Across the Valley Awards please click here!